To protect our club members from severe weather threats, during all Fire FC club activities, we will use the following guidelines:
Watches or Warnings:
We will not start or continue any activity when a Thunderstorm Warning or a Tornado Watch/Warning has been issued for the area.
- We will not start or continue any activity if we see lightning, hear thunder or lightning is reported within an eight mile range of the activity and practice facilities have equipment to monitor for lightning and will close the fields when lightning is detected within this range
If we have seen lightning or heard thunder, we will not re-start any activity until 30 minutes after the last lightning strike or thunder
- Parents, players and spectators will inform coaches about any signs of lightning or news about Severe Weather Warnings and Watches
- The best place to be when lightning is in the area is in your car. Do not stay under trees, shelters or concession stands when lightning is in the area – this will NOT protect you from lightning strikes!
Fire FC prohibits our teams from starting or continuing any activity when the actual temperature is below 35° or the temperature and wind speed create a wind chill temperature below 35°F.
The Club also prohibits our teams from starting or continuing any activity when the actual temperature is 101°F or the temperature and relative humidity create a heat index temperature above 101°F.
As a formal heat policy, we ask that coaches adhere to the following:
- 95-99 degrees (either actual temperature or heat index): water break every 20 minutes
- 100 degrees (either actual temperature or heat index): Club recommends practice be cancelled, but if coach of team elects to practice, coach shall provide water breaks every 15 minutes and reduce amount of running during practice
- 101+ degrees (either actual temperature or heat index):No activities will start or continue
To Protect Our Fields:
- We will not start any activity on our fields when it is raining hard
- We will not start any activity when the fields are very wet (even after rain has stopped)
- The Club and Olathe School District will decide when the fields are not playable and communicate this decision via text/email/app alerts